Welcome to EdgeofGarona.com
Edge is a casual Alliance guild in the World of Warcraft.
You are here: Edge of Garona » Forum » General Forums » General » Anime Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anime Thread  (Read 8704 times)
Edge Member
Forum Enthusiast
Internets: 1
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2011, 09:46 AM »

I am recommending Hakuouki.

It was really fun to watch. It's a fairly short series (like 22 episodes total), but because of that the art and storyline doesn't suffer -- there aren't any obnoxious filler episodes where the characters aren't doing anything. The plot is always moving along.

It's semi-historical. I say semi because not only am I not sure how faithful it is to the facts, there is also um... a slight paranormal aspect to it (but it doesn't overwhelm the story like you might expect). It's about the main bunch of Shinsengumi and their downfall over the last couple years, what with them eventually getting thrown under the bus by the Imperial court and its followers. It's like RK when Kenshin was a hitokiri, except the show focuses on the other side. Since it does try to follow the historical timeline, there really isn't any spoilers with what I'm going to say/already said... it's pretty much a foregone conclusion if you know what happened during the Bakumatsu. Which I think most people do, since it was a pretty pivotal turning point in Japan's history. There are deviations, however, because like I said there is a marginal fantasy/paranormal element. Don't fret -- it doesn't make the main characters super powered or invincible (in fact it's basically out of the frying pan into the fire sort of thing), with the whole foregone conclusion thing...

It's actually based off an Otome game, but really any romance is almost completely ignored until pretty much the second to last episode. I'm not really sure who it's marketed towards -- maybe both genders, because like 95% of the show is about the war and fighting. It also gets more depressing/violent in the second season. On the other hand, there are pretty boys. But if I didn't think it would appeal to most people, I wouldn't suggest it. With that said, despite the fact it's about people killing each other or trying to kill each other, the violence isn't excessive and gratuitous nor is it a plot-driving (i.e. an episode isn't two dudes kamehameha-ing each other) -- there is characterization going on. Some politics too, but that isn't excessive either, I mean at least there wasn't any point where I wanted to claw my eyes out because characters were having 20 minute monologues about humanity or war or whatever.

Only thing I disliked was the chick sometimes, because she didn't do anything even though she's considered the protagonist. Given the fact you learn she is or should be capable of doing something, it's kind of irritating. She's a bit of a Scrappy Doo/Distressed Damsel and kind of "too dumb to live", but in retrospect it wasn't that bad -- because other than that, she was a decent character. Plus she is voiced by my favorite voice actress.

It's split into two seasons, which have different names. Season 1 is "Hakuouki - Shinsengumi Kitan" and season 2 is "Hakuouki: Hekketsu-roku - Shinsengumi Kitan" (I fucking hate when they do that).

Season 1: http://www.bakabt.com/155424-hakuouki-shinsengumi-kitan-720p-ruri-ksn.html
Season 2: http://www.bakabt.com/158408-hakuouki-hekketsu-roku-season-2-ruri.html

I actually don't know if the link to season 2 works, because I didn't use it. For some bizarre reason I skipped over it and decided to manually download each episode from season 2 from here: http://www.animetake.com/anime/hakuouki/

There is also http://ruri-subs.com/ddl/
Which I haven't tested for not-dead links.

On a side note, I prefer BakaBT so much more than NyaaTorrents, if only because BakaBT has a page for each torrent/series that explains what you're downloading (for cases where seasons are named differently, reloads, reboots, etc). I also noticed BBT has higher quality shit.

I don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
Edge Member
Forum Goer
Internets: 13
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2011, 06:52 AM »

I debated putting this in the Steam Sale thread but it seemed more appropriate here.  There's a great deal on these FMA: Brotherhood blu-rays this week. I bought them all at a decent price when they were $25-30 and they run ~$50 retail at stores like Best Buy. 

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=amb_link_356907462_2?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A2625373011%2Ck%3A%20%20B004GZZGVI|B0043988IA|B003NE8B4C|B0035LD7WO%09%20&page=1&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=goldbox-ads2&pf_rd_r=1VPBSHEBR3GVVS51QNWM&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_p=1309574942&pf_rd_i=20

Amazon Blu Ray Deal of the Week.
Edge Member
Pirate King
Internets: 11
I'm a penumbra panda
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2011, 11:35 AM »

Anime priced below crack? Rejoice.

If you'll excuse me, I have some facial hair that needs growing.
Edge Member
Pirate King
I'm a penumbra panda
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2011, 05:56 AM »

Ok, first things first:
Yes, his accent is probably fake. Yes his 'character' is a bit overdone. Yes sometimes these are both annoying.
However, I feel that he often makes some good points when it comes to the subject of anime and this is his first video in years. I think a good number of shows on this list are things people should watch if they like anime or just don't look at animated shows with a bias. (There are 2 in particular I still very much enjoyed watching as an adult.)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 05:59 AM by Lorn » Logged

Edge Member
Forum Guru
Internets: 64
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2011, 11:10 PM »

This is just excellent. Kon is on Miyazaki's level when it comes to innovation in anime.  A couple of my favorite pieces from the site:

I feel like this is an appropriate time to link my favorite musical piece from a Kon work:

OST Paprika- Paradepowered by Aeva

The scene(s) the music is from are as fucked as that video's screencap implies.
Newcomer
Internets: 0
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2011, 05:35 PM »

Retelling of one of my favorite amines Hunter X Hunter woot!
Edge Member
Pirate King
I'm a penumbra panda
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2011, 01:51 AM »

For those of you that remember the good old days on the CN:
Mad Rhetoricpowered by Aeva

Edge Member
Forum Enthusiast
Internets: 2
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2011, 11:15 AM »

I actually picked up Summer Wars a few nights back in Wal-Mart; it was damn good though I do wish it was subbbed rather than dubbed. =/

Summer Wars 1080HD Trailer [Available from Funimation and TBS works] March 2011powered by Aeva

Edge Member
Pirate King
I'm a penumbra panda
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2011, 04:02 PM »

I actually picked up Summer Wars a few nights back in Wal-Mart; it was damn good though I do wish it was subbbed rather than dubbed. =/

Summer Wars 1080HD Trailer [Available from Funimation and TBS works] March 2011

Who let Diaboromon out of his cage again?

Seriously though, I love this director and I love his animation style just about as much as Miyazaki's. I need to see this. Thumbs up.

Edge Member
Forum Guru
Internets: 64
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2011, 04:36 PM »

Summer Wars started off well but was just average by the end. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, his previous feature, was much better.
Edge Member
Forum Enthusiast
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2011, 05:33 PM »

Summer Wars started off well but was just average by the end. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, his previous feature, was much better.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll have something to watch for tonight. ^_^

Edge Member
Forum Enthusiast
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2012, 06:17 AM »

Just recently finished off Death Note (YEAH YEAH SHUT IT) and I enjoyed it. I was really hoping by the end of the series that I'd forgive them for killing Ryuzaki and Soichiro, but I really didn't like Near as much as a character.

Overall I'd give the series a 9/10, it definitely kept me going "ok one more episode then I really need to get to bed" and caused a few days late to work.

Those who haven't seen it I'd strongly recommend it. Probably going to start up either Elfen Lied or Witchblade next; still deciding, though there's still a few GitS movies I've yet to watch as well.

Edge Member
Pirate King
I'm a penumbra panda
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2012, 01:04 PM »

DO
NOT
WATCH
ELFEN LIED

it's trash.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 01:07 PM by Lorn » Logged

Edge Member
Forum Guru
Internets: 27
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2012, 01:58 PM »

Lorn speaks the truth
Edge Member
Forum Enthusiast
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2012, 04:36 PM »

Lol, okayy! Buddy of mine told me to watch it, I'll probably just pick up watching Witchblade or finishing off FMA: Brotherhood that I've been putting off forever.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v.1.0.6 beta 2 © Bloc